Close this search box.

Humane Transport and Animal Welfare

Notice regarding the recent announcement of the Health of Animals Regulations Part XII: Transportation of Animals-Regulatory Amendment.

Hopefully this will help clarify what the regulations mean to anyone hauling horses in Canada.

Commercial transporters have to meet the requirements with regards to the training (138.1), contingency plans (138.2) and records (154).

Any person who transports animals in the course of business or for financial benefit (this would include any competition or equines for sale) has to meet the requirements with regards to the contingency plans (138.2) and records (154) and pursuant to regulatory requirements. However, they are not required to provide training as per 138.1.

“Any person who…” or “No person….” applies to everyone. Where it says commercial, it only applies to people paid to transport. Note, CFIA includes ANY person who gets paid as being commercial. Example – if someone pays their neighbour $50 or any amount, to haul horses to a show and back, that person is considered commercial.

Everyone else, “any person who, loads, confines (for the purpose of transport), transports or unloads animals” the rest of the regs apply to.  So the person hauling their horse to a 4H show or a trail ride fall under the regulations. Actually, ALL animals do.  It has always been this way, even with the old regulations – they applied to everyone who transports animals.

For further information visit:

Everyone involved in the transportation of animals in Canada must comply with the Health of Animals Act and Regulations. Protecting animal welfare in Canada is a shared responsibility. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), provincial and territorial governments, producers, transporters, industry organizations, and many others each have a role to play.

It is illegal to load, transport or unload an animal that is not healthy enough to handle the stress of transportation. If you are not sure an animal is fit for the trip, contact a veterinarian or the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Your responsibility

All those involved in transporting animals must ensure that every animal being loaded is fit for the trip and treated humanely.

Only animals that are fit to handle the stress of transport may be loaded. If you are not sure, seek the advice of a veterinarian or contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) before deciding to load an animal.

A veterinarian familiar with the CFIA’s Compromised Animals Policy, which provides clear guidelines for the transportation of unfit or compromised animals, may be needed to properly assess animals before loading. <read more>